I remember the excitement of those first days of summer vacation when I was a teacher and my children were young. The time before us seemed endless, just like the possibilities!
The beginning of summer vacation was always something to celebrate. Alarm clocks did not have to be set. All of those tasks and projects that had been delayed now seemed likely to be tackled. Children loved the chance to run and play with their friends. The realization that time to relax was at hand was invigorating!
This may still be true for some families but definitely not for all of the families in our Frederick community. There will be many families still lining up to get food. Many parents are grappling with the challenge of returning to work and not being sure about daycare options. Children and parents may be frightened to visit places this summer because of COVID-19.
Just as our school year was unprecedented, this “summer vacation” will undoubtedly be unprecedented as well. It will be critically important for us to remember that we must continue to take care of ourselves and each other. I ask that you please:
- Continue to practice the safe measures of frequent hand washing, wearing facial coverings where needed, and staying home if you feel sick.
- Stay connected to FCPS communication channels. There are many questions about the start of the school year, and we will be providing updates and seeking feedback throughout July.
- Participate in our summer programs, if invited. We will be taking all necessary measures to keep you safe.
- Use the resources shared last week to keep your mind engaged.
- Read, read, read!
- Take the time to make someone smile each day!
I wish all of our FCPS students, families, and community members a wonderful summer season! Many of the FCPS staff will be working through the summer to prepare to welcome our students back for the 2020-2021 school year in the safest possible way. Until then, please stay safe and healthy.